Hi Everyone! Thanks again for reading our reflections and stories from Jamaica. It was such a great week to spend serving the Lord. We would now like to give you an opportunity to serve with us. Our house church is getting involved with a ministry called Blessings in a Backpack and we need your help!
Blessings in a Backpack is a 501 C (3) non-profit organization (all donations tax deductible) that is currently feeding nearly 62,000 children in 437 schools in 42 U.S. states and three countries – Canada, Columbia, and Haiti. They partner with America to ensure impoverished elementary school children are fed on the weekends throughout the school year.
You may ask….How does it work?….How can I help?
After funds raised…
- Blessings provides backpacks (free of charge)
- Blessings sends grocery Gift Card weekly
- Program coordinator buys food from grocer
- Our volunteers pack backpacks (typically on Wednesday/Thursday)
- Teachers hand out backpacks to children on Fridays
- Children eat the food over the weekend
- Children return the empty backpacks on Monday
What does it cost?
- $100/school year for one child
- Minimum 50 children per school (minimum $5,000 per school year)
- We have a 3 year commitment to the school
- How is that possible??
- Blessings in a Backpack has created various menus of non-perishable food items that will feed a child over the weekend for $2.10 per week.
- 100% of your donation goes to feed the children.
What’s in the Backpacks?
- Non-perishable, easy to prepare, kid friendly food
- Three of the four essential food groups
- Including (but not limited to) granola bars, raisins, apple sauce, crackers, mac/cheese, soups, etc.
Who are we Helping?
- Xenia Summit Academy Middle school
- 135 children eligible to receive backpack (must be on free/reduced lunch program)
What’s the Impact?
- Better test scores
- Improved reading skills
- Positive behavior
- Improved health
- Increased attendance
How can I help?
- Support a child
- Spread the word
- Help fundraise
We have about 25 students supported at this point and support for 50 students to start the ministry for next school year. Our goal is to support all 135 students in need with backpacks
Please join us to help support a child,..any donation amount is one step closer! Also please pray for this ministry, and spread the word.
If you are able to help sponsor a child so we can get this program started in Xenia, please go to https://getinvolved.blessingsinabackpack.org/new-donation-page and specify “Summit Academy – Xenia” in the comments box.
And PLEASE share this post on your facebook wall, tweet it, email it to your mom, and print it out and share it with your neighbor. Together we can make a difference!
Thanks for serving with us!
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:40